Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Prologue

After being in Afghanistan for months we took a break. My husband and me stayed at the house of lovely Latvian lady during our holidays. We talked a lot about Afghanistan. “You are egoist,” accused this lady me. “Why only Estonians have the possibility to read your diary? We would like it too.”

I have been describing our everyday life in Kabuli päevik (Kabul Diary in Estonian) http://qnne.blogspot.com/for five months now. I was amazed how many people are interested about our experiences: to read stories and to look at my images.

It has been an interesting wandering. We started like lonely westerners in hostile land. Now we have find some good friends not only among international community but among some afghan people as well. We started our living in a tiny room of the guesthouse, continuing in a small house at the compound of internationals. We ended living with afghan family in their garden house.

For me, personally, most important has been the disappearance of the feeling of fear. After our first security training I thought that I will go mad. How can we live next years behind wires and walls as prisoners? It seemed impossible to go out even just for a walk. But walking for me is something self-evident, part of normal everyday life in Estonia. When I go now to shopping down the street, trying to use my elementary dari language as much as I can it is somehow ridiculous to remember very first days.

Afghan people are the most patient I have ever seen in my life. I envy their dignity. And something - despite a quarter of hundred years of war - is left about their hospidality. The way how poor farmer from outskirts of Kabul is offering tea, is something to learn about.

And, especially, I am impressed with Afghanistan landscapes: the majestic look of medieval minarets and mosques in Herat, the peaceful agricultural views of Kunduz river irritation area, the ruthless snowy mountains near Salang pass or breathtaking beauty of the colorful hills in Bamian Valley.

There are lots of news about Afghanistan on every TV-channel. But whenever I see news I can’t recognize the country I live. Still I have seen another, human side of Afghanistan. And I hope to share my experience with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment