Friday, February 16, 2007

The day when Soviet army left Afghanistan

This Thursday there was a public holiday in order to celebrate the day on which the Soviet army left Afghanistan. There were hundreds of Estonians who fought in Afghanistan as Soviet army soldiers. Around fifty of them died and many were injured. Soviet-Afghanistan war is still painful topic for our little country of 1,5 million people.
I have met three Soviet army Afghan veterans. First was my fellow student at university while we were studying geology. He is now a politician. I remember a special night when he told bloodcurdling stories about his soldier-career. Afghanistan associated for me only with words “you must kill or you will be killed” for years.
Second meeting took place in my hometown Tartu last year. Taxi driver was asking about my destination of the trip and I answered “Kabul”. It was a short discussion, but still memorable. Driver showed me his neck marked with gruesome scars. He encouraged me to leave this country where “everybody dreams to jag your neck”.
Third man is writing to me from time to time. His letters engender the feeling of recognition. He writes me about smells and flavors, wind and rain. I would like to meet this guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment