Sunday, August 10, 2008

Beloved Afghanistan

I am back in Estonia, still dreaming about Afghanistan. I spent last months, rewriting texts for my book Beloved Afghanistan (Armastatud Afganistan in Estonian). Basically I used my Kabul Diary texts that I wrote in Estonian. I spent some months arguing with my editor and even more months working together with my layout designer. The layout of the book is very important, because I decided to publish a large format book where the texts and the photos are supporting each other.
Now the book is in printing house and I feel empty. But I have to pull myself together very soon, because I have to decide which images to use for photo exhibitions. Three exhibitions – the first one will start in our capital next month – all named Beloved Afghanistan will be held in major towns of Estonia.
Although the feedback has been very supporting so far – I got financial support from Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Estonia, I feel uncertain. Popular image of Afghanistan is so different to my experience, so I do not know what to expect. In Estonia it is the first attempt to describe Afghanistan from another point of view. Unfortunately Estonians have only military experiences – some time ago a lot of young men had to fight with Afghans because they had to serve in Soviet Army, now they are back again as ISAF soldiers in Helmand.
I hope that this first attempt will show if there is any chance for this kind of book or exhibition to be interesting for larger audiences. If the feedback is good then I will try to find an agent in order to publish my book in English.

No comments:

Post a Comment