Wednesday, August 22, 2007

After kidnapping

Some days ago our foreign community of Kabul was alarmed: a German lady was kidnapped from a small fast food restaurant. This place is close to parliament and to my husband’s working place. Only fifteen minutes earlier my husband Andres bought bread from a bakery, just around the corner.
Although the Afghan police’s operation succeeds – the kidnappers are captured a day later – I feel quite uncomfortable. There are some rumors that some other foreign ladies have been targeted as well. Maybe those rumors are produced by fear? Was it only one gang or are there some more criminals who got now a bright idea how to earn money?
Yes, at the moment we are saturated with kidnapping stories – there are no news about nineteen Korean or a German engineer -, but those incidents happened outside of Kabul. Last kidnapping in Kabul took place two years ago. Until recently I have been quite relaxed about walking around alone here.
I remember what we were told during security training just after we landed. Is it good news that statistically I have 60% chance of survival? Or the fact that mostly the kidnappers are interested in men– but last incidents show that kidnappers are have started to target females. I have followed the basic rules: always be cautious and not to walk the same streets at the same time. But I have ignored the recommendations about going out alone or not walking in dusk.
It is for the first time - after one and half year – which I am sitting voluntary behind walls, reading books and feeling, bored. I need to wait for some more days to be sure that the crisis is over. But the worst thing is that you never know. It is Afghanistan. Things just happen here.

No comments:

Post a Comment