Wednesday, October 27, 2010

new myspace headed in the right direction

Confession: I used to use Myspace.  Okay, so I didn't just use Myspace; around sophomore year of high school it pretty much ran my life.  But when Facebook came around a few years later, Myspace took the backseat--its only real purpose was to stay in touch with people who hadn't picked up Facebook yet or people who weren't in school.  Myspace became obsolete when Facebook opened to the public and removed the network requirements.  My profile is still floating around the Internet somewhere, I don't think I've touched it in about four years.  Honestly I don't even know the email I registered it under so I have no way of de-activating it.

If you asked anyone about Myspace today, you'd probably hear: trashy, sketchy, people looking for hookups, and music.  I know the only reason I ever visit Myspace is because artists link to free tracks on their pages.  Because of the simple interface, Facebook isn't a great space for music-sharing and interactive media, enabling Myspace's music division to survive.

Myspace played to its strengths with a complete website redesign, positioning their brand as a "social entertainment destination".  Mashable posted some screenshots and videos of their new site.  Check out their new promotional video below:



the new Myspace logo
Personally, I'm very impressed with everything they're doing.  By recognizing their strengths (music and video content) they've set up Myspace as a destination for sharing media with friends, not just for networking.  I'm also loving the new logo,  It does a good job of getting across their big idea: Myspace is really your space, where you can upload and share your favorite media content.  However, there is a bit of concern that Myspace's users will object to the redesign.

...Seriously? What users?

No comments:

Post a Comment